Top 3 Elites and Top 3 Ultimate Editions of 2024 so far


After listening to the Wrestling Figure News podcast yesterday as of typing this, I thought I would take a leaf out of Justin's book and as we are nearly at the half-year mark in the year, give you my top 3 Elite figures and top 3 Ultimate Editions.

As you know, I only put figures in my list I actually own so at least one that would've stood a very good chance of making the list is not included, that was Damien Priest.

Some honourable mentions, Terry Gordy (108), this was a 2 in 1 figure, didn't care too much for 'The Executioner' part of the figure, I did buy 2 so I could display both styles, many don't overly rate the Gordy figure but it was one I really didn't expect when it was released so was very happy to get it. On the package it showed him with the UWF title but the figure didn't come with one, we did know Mattel were releasing one and we have since found out that will be coming in Legends series 23 with Big Bubba Rogers, he will be the chase figure in that set too so hopefully I'll get both and will have a spare UWF belt to put with Gordy if I wish, as it stands now, I have him displayed in a Badstreet t-shirt alongside his fellow former Freebird, Michael 'PS' Hayes.


I like the Top Picks Logan Paul too, well, the head scan is a bit goofy and his jacket with the straps flapping around everywhere but it was his first Elite and the ring gear was decent. From Elite 107, I liked the Finn Balor, shoes/boots were a bit weird, but  overall, a good figure. Another good figure from this year was the Lex Luger that came in the Summer Slam series, I have seen many wax lyrical about it, very nice figure, massive upgrade on his previous 'USA' figure. From the 10 Monday Night Wars figures we have I like the Scott Hall (series 1) and Kevin Nash (series 2) both have slight issues but both very good figures from a very important time in wrestling with them basically being the catalyst to what became the nWo in July of 1996. Most will know my favourite of all lines is the Legends one and for an honourable mention, I'll go with Hulk Hogan based on his WWF debut (series 21), we had this one in the JAKKS line, didn't expect it from Mattel but they continue to give us Hogan figures we just don't expect, we have 2 more coming this year that we know about, maybe more, hopefully plus, Hogan will feature in both my lists today.

So, onto my list.....

3. Hulk Hogan (Legends series 22)


Like I mentioned above, Mattel keep on surprising us with Hogan figures and this one, well, was a very deep cut, based on his look from the early 80's while in NJPW this is one I would never expected to have seen him have a figure released of. I think he was in the AWA at the time and going over to Japan for tours. There is also a chase figure of Hogan in this line with different colour boots/kneepads but I like the regular one with the silver boots.

2. Harley Race (Legends of the Territories)


When this was first shown I was blown away, we have had a Race before from Mattel, there was of course the 'King' version in the 'Flashback' series which was hard to get for people in the US, I was able to pick one up and then it was re-released in the 'Greatest Hits' line. Anyway back to this one, I think the reason this stood out way more than maybe it usually would was the fact it came with the NWA globed world title, never before released in the Mattel line, maybe not spot on but it's great to have this belt from Mattel, but the figure itself is great, comes with the red, white and blue robe too as you can see, another one (without that NWA belt) we had in the JAKKS line but this is a massive upgrade as you can imagine.

1. Hulk Hogan (Hulkamania 40 yrs Boxset)


Well, 3 figures chosen, 2 are Hogan figures, what can I say? This nWo Hogan, easily better of the nWo Elite Hogan figures, new skin tone, new torso, new head scan too I believe, first time in the line t-shirt, this is the figure Justin also had as his number 1. Such a good figure. I got mine from a UK seller when I thought it was going to be a US exclusive but now, Smyths here in the UK (like with the
 Monday Night Wars Elite figures) are selling this too. I personally collect all Hogan Elite/Ultimate figures so I would be picking these up regardless but the other 2 in the set are so so, I'd take the earlier 1986 one over the later mid-2000's one but this nWo one is the star of the set and for me, the BEST Elite of 2024 so far, let's see if that remains the case at the end of the year.

On to my top 3 Ultimate Edition figures of the year.....

Once again, a couple of honourable mentions, once again, I only add figures to my lists I actually own and I don't collect female figures so that's why there will be none in honourable mentions or my list. First off, the Amazon exclusive Rey Mysterio, very similar to one of his many Elite figures but different enough, I really like this Mysterio UE, I like it more than his previous UE, I may be alone in that but hey. Another honourable mention goes to Cody Rhodes from the latest UE set, Justin and I differed on this one, I believe (well, already spoiled his Elite list to an extent but if you're reading this after listening to his podcast you'll know anyway) he had this Rhodes at number 1 and, it's very decent but just doesn't crack my top 3. It's an improvement of sorts over his first UE figure, that was a Mattel Creations exclusive of course, the gear was nice but the ring jacket was soft goods and if we're honest, it didn't impress at all. This new one however comes with plastic/rubber jacket with swappable arms so you can display with the jacket on (as I have) or just in his ring gear, Justin bought 2 to display in both ways, I did that with the Amazon Bret Hart, if I saw this Rhodes going for a decent reduced price I may do the same again.

My Top 3.....

3. Hulk Hogan (Re-released nWo figure with upgrades)


When Mattel started to re-release figures I wasn't the happiest bunny, I saw the reasoning, well, for them it was money, but for the collectors who missed out on some figures first time round it gives them a chance to add them to their collections and with updated technology, they are better overall apparently, this UE Hogan is the only re-release I have. I said the original version of this Hogan was the best UE figure ever, I just rate it so much but this one, I just had to grab, have it displayed in a different way to the original one just for display purposes. For anyone in the UK that may want this figure, VERY are doing it (and other UE's) at a very good reduced price of £25.99.

2. Eric Bischoff (Nitro ring exclusive)


Yes, this figure was exclusive with the Nitro ring, I wasn't going to buy the ring for the figure in the hope of selling the ring on it's own, I still have the New Gen one in the box for sale with the ring entrance so no way was I going to be stuck with another ring but I was able to pick the figure up from Rock and Roll Collectables, wasn't cheap but as a completionist of all male UE figures I had to pick it up. Onto the figure itself, I am not entirely happy with the head scans, well not the stoic looking one anyway, the smiling one is sort of OK but the figure overall is great. Comes with a moulded jacket and like all the others that do, you can remove the arms so if you wish, you could display the figure with or without the jacket, can't imagine anyone would display it without the jacket but I don't know. It comes with an nWo vest as well as a white one.

1. ‘Rowdy' Roddy Piper (Monday Night Wars Wave 1)


Unlike the Elites, Smyths here in the UK were not carrying the UE's from the MNW series but can't have everything. When this was first shown I was blown away, I have mentioned in blogs and on social media many times how much I was looking forward to this one, it took a while but I finally got my hands on one thanks to good brother Matt of The Whole Shebang. Like with the Bischoff, it has to be displayed with the jacket on, it is such a good, no, GREAT figure, just outstanding, take some beating in 2024 this one as far as the Ultimate Editions go.

So there you have it, those are my lists, give me your lists, I prefer if they are compromised of figures you actually have in your collection but just a top 3 of 2024 so far will be great to read your opinions.

Hit me up on the socials, all my links HERE

Thanks for reading and if you want to advertise, let me know. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The March 6th RSC Reveals

International collectors to lose out?

The Top 3 Ultimate Edition Figures (in my opinion) coming in 2024